I use N1MM this way with one standard serial cable for single-port rig
control and PTT/CW keying, using a USB to Serial adapter manufactured by
Gearmo that uses an FTDI chip set.

I use just one of the four ports for the K3, the others are attached to
other devices.

<http://www.amazon.com/FT4232HL-Professional-Retention-Certified-Microsoft/d
p/B004ETDC8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354397714>

My N1MM "configure" dialog shows COM2: Elecraft K3 and I've checked
"CW/Other Details".  When I click "Set" I get a page with COM2 as its
caption.  In that dialog I set speed 38400 No parity, 1 stop bit, and choose
"CW" for the DTR (pin  4) and "PTT" for RTS (pin 7).  Then I set my K3
configuration menu PTT-KEY for "RTS-DTR".

In years past I would sometimes experience stuttering from CW keying near
the end of a contest about the time I entered each QSO and went to WinKey as
a result.  In recent years I haven't found CW keying from a serial port,
even with this USB adapter, to be a problem.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and a reasonably modern (last couple of years)
Intel chipset.

73 de Dick, K6KR