Having seen the KX3 producing a spectrum display (although without actual
frequency information from the radio itself) on an Apple iPad at the Plano, TX
hamfest, and finally getting my own KX3, I started looking for a way to do this
myself.

The free iSDR app will produce the display if you can get the KX3's I and Q
outputs into the iPad via some sort of sound card device.  Turns out that at
least some of the iPads can accept USB input from some supported devices
through an available camera adapter which has the input connector to the iPad
on one end and a female USB connector on the other end of a short cable.  The
audio device I found that most everyone used was the Griffin Technologies iMic,
but after getting one of the new 16Gig iPad's this afternoon, none of the
stores in the Wichita area had even heard of the iMic let alone had one in
stock.

I had been using a TASCAM US-100 USB sound card to capture high quality stereo
audio on my laptop rather than try to use the microphone input and for grins
and giggles, I plugged it into the camera adapter and hooked up the KX3's I/Q
cable to the stereo "line" input.  Got no results until I remembered to turn on
the I/Q outputs in the KX3's menu -- BINGO, works like a champ and with the
super high resolution "Retina" display on the new iPad, it really looks nice.

Now, I had to quit playing with it and put the iPad back on the charger which,
unfortunately uses the same input as the camera adapter - LOL.  Tomorrow I'll
have to learn how to run Ham Log without a "pigtail" for the time being until
the supplier gets back from his travels in a few days and I can order one.

Jim - W0EB