From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of KD7YZ Bob
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 1:59 PM
To: K3 List
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Settings for CW filter 400hz

On Wednesday Smith used a Straight-Key to send:
-------------Original Comment-------
> If anyone is using a very narrow filter for JT9 please tell us how it
> works for you in that mode. I think more than a few of us are
> exploring this new mode Joe has brought out.

I used it on about 15 contacts yesterday, 20m .. What I "saw" on the
readings were every Report which was generated was >= +30 .

What I "heard" was that all the adjacent QRM crud was non-existent. In fact,
using "Shift" I could eliminate one of you guys 20hz away in a legitimate
QSO and still decode and get the +30 reports.

So I posited a question to the academics which revolved about the notion I
had that "If" the sig-rep is really +30, here, in the mind of the JT9-Genie
inside my Win7 machine, then that should mean that I could also hear down to
the typical level of -25 and decode.

So, my non-Professor of Radio Astronomy brain decided that a guy running
5 watts from France, who was getting +30 from me, should be able to reduce
power 20 db, and I should be able to decode him .. well, or her, but I dunno
any French Amateur Radio girls ennaweh, so "guys" stands.

However. it's a real Juggle for me, the Newbie-K3 driver, to try and balance
all the 4 to 6 setting possibilities and wind up with a visible trace.

I won't believe this is actually making weaker signals possible until I have
somebody systematically reduce the output power on his end of the planet
while i write down the sig-reps.

'Doubting Thomas' you say?  Ey-yup, true.

--
Best regards,
Bob  KD7YZ    Win7-64bit + K3

BTW
I wish they wouldn't make the List-Emails auto-reply to original person only
.. seems a lot of useful info in the answers will never get to the general
populace. I only caught the reply-to address at the last second
B4 Sending .. way too much trouble to re-address these.

-----
No virus found in this message.