There are a few things you need to be sure of before this will work.

- Make sure your RS232 cable has a direct configuration.  Pin 2 to pin
2, pin 3 to pin3, and pin 5 to pin 5, end to end.

- Make sure you're using the correct serial port identifier.  Usually,
native ports have low numbers like COM1 to COM4.  As you add ports via
the USB-Serial cable, they may pop up on higher port numbers.
Sometimes the higher port numbers will be unpredictable.

- For your USB-Serial COM port, use USBDevView, available at
http://www.nirsoft.net/ for download.  You should be able to spot
whatever USB COM port identifier is used this way.  You can also use
Device Manager to examine Ports, just to see which identifiers are
occupied (works for native or USB ports).

- Try using the K3 utility, and take a look at the COM port numbers
that are enumerated.  The utility will find all of them on the laptop.

Chances are good that your cable is OK, but check it first.  Then use
the K3 utility or device manager to enumerate all the port
identifiers.  Try different ports until you get the correct one.

Make sure your USB-Serial adapter is actually getting a driver loaded.
Normally, after you plug it in the o/s will pop up a little flyover in
the bottom right of the screen, noting successful driver load for the
newly attached device.  If you're not seeing this, it's possible the
driver isn't loading.  Use USBDevView to watch the device come and go,
as you plug it in and disconnect it.  This program will also show any
USB-based COM ports in the Drive Letter column.  You can sort your
device list by any of the columns, making this easier to figure out.

73,
matt W6NIA