On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM, John Reilly <reill...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I don't think I understand how the tuning works with the KAT500. I have a
> K3, KPA500, and the two 15-pin cables (K3 to KAT, and KAT to KPA).
>
> I set my K3 Tune Power to 25w. I thought when I press tune on the K3, the
> KAT500 should tune, and it shouldn't key the Amp; however, when I do this, I
> continue to get around 500w from the Amp.
>
> Could someone please explain how this is supposed to work?

When you invoke the K3's TUNE function (hold the XMIT button), the K3
will make a 25W key-down signal. Nothing more fancy than that happens
at the K3.

If the KAT500 detects VSWR higher than the configured auto-tune
threshold, it will inhibit keying to the amp, and attempt to tune
(from memory first, then a full search if no suitable memory is
available). If the KAT500 does not detect VSWR higher than the
threshold, it will not inhibit keying, nor attempt any tune function.

Are you seeing high VSWR when you invoke the K3's TUNE function?

73,

    ~iain / N6ML