Jay,

The K3 protects itself against too high SWR's by cutting back power.
An SWR of 1.8:1 is quite acceptable.

As to why the SWR is 1.8 , there could be many reasons.
1) Antenna too long or too short. Run an SWR curve vs frequency to see which. 2) Antenna height. Depending upon height the impedance of the antenna can be very low at low heights and as much as ~100 ohms at some heights.
From the antenna handbook for a half wave dipole for 20 M:
Height in wavelengths     Feedpoint Impedance
.1 (~7 feet)                   20 ohms  (SWR =2.5)
.17(~11 feet)                  50         (SWR = 1)
.34 (~22 feet)                98         (SWR =2)
beyond this point the impedance decreases and oscillates about a value of 72 ohms (SWR =1.44) 3) With any feedpoint impedance other than 50 ohms, the SWR seen at the shack end of the coax is highly dependent on coax length.

If you bought the coax new, the last thing to consider is the coax itself - provided it hasn't been abused or is very old.

It is common practice to trim the length of the antenna at a given height to attempt to adjust the SWR favorably.

73 de Brian/K3KO