Randy,

I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but I do find that if you use an analyzer on the input of the KPA500 and a 50ohm dummy load on the output, you will see a good 50 ohm 1.0:1 SWR on the analyzer in the Stand by mode. However, when you put the amp into the Operate mode you get somewhere in the neighborhood of a 2.8:1 SWR (on the 20 meter band). When you put in around 10W to the input of that KPA500 while in operate (or at least mine) than I find that I see an increase of about .5 in the SWR. IE. If I have a 50 Ohm Dummy load on the output and I put the amp on operate and transmit the 10w into the input, I see a 1.5:1 SWR on the rig connected to the input. I would see that the input level determines the SWR on the input when the amp is in the operate mode. It doesn't seem to have a fixed 50 Ohm load on the input as I would have expected it to. Now, if someone else who knows better than I would like to explain why that is, or if this is NOT normal I would love to know as well. I think that Randy's question is a very fair and reasonable one. An answer from an authority would be helpful. If you DON'T know the answer but would like to guess... I prefer you NOT, just let someone who does know do the answering. Thank you,

Michael
N6MQL

Hello,

I just spent a most enjoyable afternoon assembling SN 1213 KPA 500.  Took my
time and double checked every connection, wire, etc.  Everything is in the
right place and there are no faults, errors etc. when I power it up.  However
both my radios (a KX3 with ATU in bypass, and a Flex 5000 without an ATU)
report high SWR with KEY DOWN.  I put my SWR meter on the input side and sure
enough, most bands present a 1.9:1 or higher. I have discharged the unit and
removed the rear panel just in case the RF input wires were disconnected some
how in assembly-both input and output are secure.  I am at a loss.  Anyone have
any ideas?  Also, I should mention on receive all bands seem VERY quiet.

Also, my KX3 with ATU enabled works really hard but does make it tune-still no
auto band switching and no RF out that I can see.

I was really hoping to work the 10M contest this weekend with my new amp....

RANDY DIDDEL
k5rhd...@gmail.com
Follow me on APRS at:  http://tinyurl.com/k5rhd-2
Homepage:  http://blog.randydiddel.com