Don,

Were you really tuned to 12 meters? or somewhere else? There is the possibility that you have a problem with your K2.

I have not listened to 12 meters, but if I understand you correctly, you listened to 12 meters with the K2, the K3 and some other radio - and 2 out of 3 did not hear the signals.

That causes me to wonder if you were really listening to 12 meters on the K2. One check you can make is to use the internal frequency counter probe and see what the frequency at TP1 (the VFO output) is when tuned to 12 meters - then add 4913 kHz and you should have to actual operating frequency.

There is one more check to make to see if you are really hearing 12 meters - run the K3 (tuned to 12 meters) into a dummy load, then connect a short antenna to the K2, placing that antenna near the dummy load. You should be able to hear the K3 signal on the K2.

73,
Don W3FPR