Hi,

I have a recent K3 (SN 6527, FW 4.51) and I see fairly strong VFO tuning noise on 10m. More specifically this is centered around 28.004 MHz and spreads around for about +- 3 kHz. With the preamp on this can reach S3 on the meter while tuning (well above the noise level with antenna on). Not that it is going to prevent me from working there since it only comes while tuning but it is annoying. There might also be other spots on the band but I work CW only, so the above is something I run into frequently.
Any ideas how to fix this?

Another small problem that I have is that the RF gain behaves in a bit unpredictable way when turned all the way down. When I start turning it down, I see the normal behavior, the S-meter starts going up. When I reach a position (about 10% of minimum), I see the S-meter drop down and it seems like the RF gain is going up again. Is this a problem with RF gain calibration (googling around suggests this)? And if it is, what could have caused it to go out of whack? (this was a factory assembled K3 that I bought
about 6 months ago). I probably need a signal source to recalibrate?

Other than these two issues, what a great radio! Really enjoying it!

Thanks,

Jussi Eloranta (AA6KJ)