Thanks, Elecraft Reflector friends!  Thanks to MontyS, Matt Zilmer, and
Howard Stephenson, I have the K3 serial port working once again!  Howard had
me check the voltage on pin 8 of U1 on the KIO3 main board, and it was less
than -5V (about 120 mV) with the serial cable plugged in.  This was the
first clue.  The second was that the lettering on the package of the IC
itself was discolored/faded in the center section of the IC, a sign that the
chip had overheated at some point.  In any case, replacing the U1 serial I/O
chip did the trick.  I had a friend with lots of experience at soldering and
unsoldering surface mount ICs remove the bad chip, clean up the solder pads
and tack down and then we soldered the pins of the new IC (.05" spacing, I
believe) using a micro soldering pencil.  If anyone is interested, I'll find
out and pass on the specifics of the heat gun we used for removal and the
soldering station that did such a fine job with no damage to board or
surrounding parts.  Thanks again, guys, and I should be back on the digital
modes today with HRD!

Oh, and once I had the info on the part no. and got it ordered, it came 1st
class mail from Elecraft within four working days. not bad.

73, and Merry Christmas to All, and may your dreams include visions of sugar
plums (2nd receiver board, 2 mtr xvtr, etc) dancing through your head.

Paul N5PT