I wanted to close the loop on this in case others have a similar problem.  I
hooked up my newly assembled KAT500 to my K3 and KPA500, and when I pushed a
band button on the kpa, the k3 and kat would change frequency but not the kpa.
On transmit the kpa500 would fault.

I went around and around on this, but it turned out to be the TopTen band
decoder.  Before the kat500 arrived, I had the k3 talking to the kpa500, no
problem, along with the TopTen, PR6, and two XVs.  But it appears that adding
the kat500 to the mix was too much.

So if you are having communications problems between k-line boxes, try dropping
other things off the ACC jack on the k3
.
There is evidently a mod for the TopTen to solve this issue, but I no longer
need it or the LDG 600Pro autotuner (email me off-list if you're interested in
buying them).

Jack B. at Elecraft was emailing me until midnight, and David in Support called
me the next day.   Elecraft support is simply unmatched in my experience.
Thanks guys!

73 Eric WD6DBM
Sent via RTTY from my Heathkit Twoer