I'm enjoying the discussion about could the KAT500 be smarter and know when
the K3 has changed frequencies. Over the weekend, I had an example of the
KAt500 being much smarter than its operator:

This past weekend we had very high winds and some rain - perfect excuse to
play radio. I went down to the shack, made a few QSOs on CW. Then QSYed to
12m phone and the KAT500 needed to Tune. I had gone through all bands on CW
and SSB and done a manual tune, so I was suprised.

QSYed to 15 a bit later and found the same thing - the KAT500 had to retune
for high SWR. Tried 10m, same thing. 30M seemed OK. But it seemed like the
KAT500 had forgotten all the pre-tuned settings other than on 30M.

Grumbled, went through and manually pretuned all, could QSY and all worked.
Didn't work anyone else, shut down the gear.

Later that day went in the back yard to pick up limbs that the wind had
knocked down and saw that one side of my OCF dipole had come down! That is
why the KAT500 had retuned. I repaired the antenna, went through and retuned
again...

So, I would like to see the KAT500 get smarter about the K3 freq, but from
know on when it unexpectedly needs to retune I will not question it and will
head out to the backyard to repair the antenna...

73 John K3TN