Likewise here.

Win7, USB hub (4 port, powered by the laptop) connected to the K-Line and
numerous FW updates done over the years. I have been FT'ing on several
Elecraft products and I have been using both Prolific and FTDI USB chipset
devices again with no issues.

I do a configuration save prior to any updates as a matter of course and I
have also reverted to earlier FW versions, again with no conflicts or
'lockups' of the K-Line. EEINIT has to be a case of when ALL else has
failed then do that BUT the manual gives very clear instructions on how to
force a FW update without resorting to an EEINT. Best advice is to do a
Configuration Save prior to the update.

I think my experience here is the Norm rather than the exception and I see
no reason for anyone to have apprehensions regarding FW updates.

Remember too, when you do an update that is a much later version of the
current one residing in your K-Line that ALL subsequent changes and feature
add-ons ARE included in the latest FW updates we receive and to date the
only FW feature I am not using would be the P3 SVGA  as I don't intend to
install the SVGA card as it would serve no practical use for me being
portable all the time and not having any need for an external video screen
nor one to carry around separate. I rarely even turn on the TV these days
and use the K3 for listening on the BCB anyway.

73's
Gary

On 27 December 2012 08:09, Jack - WE5ST <we...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am not home and unable to quote brand and model info but I am
> successfully using a USB hub (2.0/3.0 ac powered) and an 8 port USB to
> serial hub connected to a Dell laptop running Win8.
> They have been working together perfectly for many months running K-Line,
> SteppIR controller, rotator and DXLabs.
> If anyone wants more info email direct and I will send it out later this
> week.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Dec 26, 2012, at 12:54, Mike Rodgers <mikerodgerske5...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Doing upgrades for the first time with a laptop is not for the faint of
> heart!!!
> > Regardless of being plugged in.
> >
> > It is suspected that some laptops like my Toshibi satellite are skimping
> on voltage. Some are using a outboard USB hub with external wal wart power.
> > I havnt got one of these but it's on the to buy list.
> >
> > If you use a laptop with success, good but I don't recommend using a
> laptop for the first time without a backup plan.
> >
> > 73
> > Mike R
> >
> > Play me some fiddle, but no stinkin' violin!
> >
> > Amateur/Ham Radio KE5GBC
> > HF & Echolink mobile

*Gary - VK1ZZ
Motorhome Portable