Yes Chris, that procedure works great.

Before running that the only serial port that showed up new after installing
the Prolific driver was "USB Serial" and it didn't work.

After running  through that procedure and using his recommended driver
"PL2303nnnn" shows in in the drop down menu and it works great.

A new user just needs to not be put off by the language in the screen prints,
the steps flow normally.

73,
Rick
K6LE