You need more than the Griffin to get the iPad to control the radio. You also need a computer to radio interface such as the PigTail from Pignology.net which uses wireless networking to talk to the iPad.

I too had trouble with the Griffin but chalked it up to cheap cables I bought from China - they were terrible (shorted). I have since gotten the Elecraft cables but not had a chance to try them. What iSDR app are you using?

Buck
k4ia
K3 # 101  KX3 #715