I would like to thank Dick and Iain for their help in resolving this problem.

The answer is in the K3 Utility Help for Commands Macros, under "Macro assignment procedure overview." I also found that it is important to TAP for a tap memory and HOLD for a hold memory. I was uncertain about what I was doing, and I had a tendency to hold the keys while inputting the macros, which did not result in the proper response to a tap.

The keys are not programmed directly via the K3 utility. The K3 Utility saves labels and software code to a numbered memory, then you use the CONFIG menu and key presses to assign the numbered memories to keys. The codes for power are as I showed in my post: "PC010;" codes 10 watts; "PC100:" codes 100 watts.

The procedure sounds hard until you have done it once; then it becomes obvious.

73,

Jan, KX2A