I have read the postings on the problem of having to set the AF gain as
bands are changed with FSK and PSK31 modes, and I seem to recall that I have
seen a product that automates this.

I believe it was a hardware device that monitored the PSK31 output and
adjusted the AF level for optimum distortion level. It was independent of
the rig in use, and maybe it can be used for other digital modes like FSK
also - or that the idea can be adapted to other modes?

Does anyone have a clue or a web-pointer to what this is?

73

Sverre
LA3ZA
http://www.qslnet.de/la3za/