Russ,

It is not difficult at all to swap the encoders. Remove the Front Panel assembly and then remove the DSP board from the back of the Front Panel. That will reveal the rear of the encoders. Of course, you will have to remove the knobs and nuts, After that the encoders will pull right out. Less than a 20 minute job unless you work very slowly. Since you built the K3, it will 'come back to you' after you are part-way along with the disassembly. Don't forget to remove the right side panel and remove the screw from the 2D connector that keeps the front panel board from sliding over its screwhead.

73,
Don W3FPR