Ed,

Since it powers on in transmit, first be certain it is connected to a dummy load so you don't pop the finals.

First thing to check is anything connected to the Key jack or the Mic jack - if there is, remove them and see if the problem goes away..

If it does not, you will have to do some measurements inside to determine the source of the problem. Send me an email when you are able to do some troubleshooting.

73,
Don W3FPR