Mark,

The K3 mic input is *compatible* with Kenwood unpowered dynamic mics, but that does mean it is the *same*.

If the MFJ DVR is expecting voltage on the mic jack pin 5 (the voltage pin from Kenwood), it will fail. The Elecraft mic pinout is *almost* the same as Kenwood - except that the source of +8 volts is on pin 6 for the Elecraft pinout and pin 5 for the Kenwood.

I don't know if that is your problem, but it is worth investigating.

73,
Don W3FPR