The VIZ Vertical is indeed a smooth bug for slow speed work. Tom made me a custom humongous-sized base so I don't knock the key over. Another approach to slowing it down for super slow speed work is to go to your local hobby shop. You can find small diameter brass tubes which will fit snuggly right over the arm. Cut the brass tube to your preferred length, slip it over the arm, and then slip the weight over the brass tube *above* the damper. This is an inexpensive and effective solution. Tom makes great products and I was sorry to learn that he is presently looking for a buyer for his business (Old Old Timers Club Newsletter "Spark Gap Times", January 2013 edition, page 4, bottom). 73, Stan WB2LQF