Kevin writes,

    The KX1 has great reports: heck I give them all the time during ECN.  They
work quite well in the hands of the best (Ray, K2HYD and Rick, KL7CW
please take a bow).  Seems like they can beat their way through pileups to
get my attention ;)  I never truly believe them when they tell me 3 watts
but it must be true.

Thanks for the compliment, Kevin - keep it up and I'll lobby for promoting you
from 5th to at least 4th class!

First time I saw a KX-1 it was still an unbuilt kit, but looked so cool I
couldn't resist. (BTW I won't mention names to proect the guilty but the ham
who showed me the kit still hasn't finished building it!). And I do get great
results with simple wires (definitely get the built in tuner!) and an honest 3W
with an external gel-cell.

The K1 has more band capabilities (and maybe more power while running on
internal batteries?) but is a little bigger with all accessories. But, how
about this: when you're car-camping or on a motor trip to visit friends and
relatives, take the shoes off your K2 and bring it along. And then get a KX-1
plus maybe a 2.3AH gel-cell (not very heavy) for the the hiking / backpacking
trips. And THEN get a K-1 for backup!
73 Ray K2HYD