Somewhere in the back of my head is a recollection of issues surrounding
spurious signals caused by the mixing of strong signals in things like corroded
gutter joints etc.  If there is a strong signal present from the AM station at
all times then the other signal varying in strength might cause his fade in and
out issue.

Can some who is a real engineer tell me if this makes sense or have I been
smoking green leafy stuff?

David K0LUM