I have found a cheap and effective answer to the problem that requires no changes to the K3 and no soft in addition to the free version of HRD that I am using.

I took a mouse apart and removed the opto-wheel's detent spring. The wheel now spins freely. Although the diameter is small compared to a "real" tuning knob - I can control the tuning speed from HRD. Works for me.

At some point in the future, I may take another mouse apart and remove the optical encoder and build a new frame and enclosure for it - then add a "real" sized tuning knob to same. However, having the smooth tuning capability along with right and left clicks of the mouse is really convenient.

Bill W2BLC