John,

I believe Lyle intended you to check the source of your audio.
I assume you are using an interface box of some kind.
Many interface boxes have the ability to change the output from Mic Level (usually the default) to line level. Consult your interface box documentation to find out how to make that change.

If you are using a sound card directly, check to be certain line out is enabled for record and is not muted.

73,
Don W3FPR