Dear Folks:

I have now built a K1 (#1024) and a K2 (#6922) and have deeply enjoyed doing
both.  I am now currently building the SSB option for the K2.  They are both
great rigs, and building them and getting them to work has been some of the
best stuff I've done in my ham radio career.  I've worked hundreds of
stations with them both, and a fair amount of DX.

Certainly, my confidence in doing my own work has grown by leaps and bounds
because of the experience I've gained.  I've even built one thing from
scratch, just using a schematic (a relatively simple circuit, but it worked
perfectly the first time).

I now have a question about something I did years ago.  When I got the K1, I
decided to build something smaller first in order to practice soldering.  I
built a Vectronics (actually, from MFJ) direct conversion receiver for 20
meters (I also built the companion transmitter, and it works fine).  The
problem is that merely touching the receiver makes its change frequency, and
tuning it is an uncertain process.  As a result, it is unstable, and not
much fun to operate (though it is reasonably sensitive despite its
simplicity).  There must be some capacitance that it is getting from my
touch, that is adversely affecting its performance.

Did I do something wrong in building this receiver, or is it just the price
of a really bare bones design?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

73 de Bernie KF0QS