Rich,

Yes, you are right.

If you view the transmitter and receiver as a path along which the ESSB transmitter's mike audio travels, then the transmitter's "wide" filter and the receiver's "narrow" filter are in effect connected in series. Thus in this case the combined response of the Tx and Rx filters will determine the bandwidth of the audio heard at the receiver's output, which cannot be wider than that of the receiver's "narrow" filter.

73,
Geoff
LX2AO