On 1/29/2013 4:23 PM, Eric Buggee wrote:
Hi Tom,
               I have a KAT500-K and have had it operational since
building it end of December.  I have read the manual from front to back
and it does mention that very fact:

When using the KAT500 with the K3 and the two are interconnected using
theDB15 interface cable, be sure to apply power to the KAT500 first
(before switching on the K3).

Because, as you have observed the K3 will exhibit stange behaviour:
exactly as you have described.

So Always Power the K3 On First when you have KAT500 connected Via the
DB-15 interface cable!

All good until the last sentence. Power the KAT500 first.

Gus Hansen
KB0YH