If you look at K1 builder alert #1, R39 is discussed there. C76 is installed
right next to it. Look also at the schematic for the K1 page 79 "Appendix B RF
Board" in the lower left hand corner where C75 and R39 are shown.

Here is the builder alert #1...

"K1 builder alert: Minor T-R switch mod
Fri, 1 Dec 2000

Impact: All K1's through S/N 400

Background:
 During testing of the KAT1 antenna tuner, we intentionally created worst-case
conditions, such as dead shorts, opens, and large transients. As a result of
these experiments, we've decided to add a resistor to the K1's T-R switch
circuitry. (Technical details can be found below.) This has no effect on
receive or transmit performance, but helps protect the transmitter from extreme
mismatch
 conditions.

Applicability:
 We recommend that this minor modification be made to all K1s, even though it's
very unlikely that you'd ever encounter a problem during normal use.

 If you have not yet received your K1, keep a copy of this builder alert, then
check the manual revision when the kit arrives. If your manual is rev. D, your
kit includes the resistor and the modification instructions. If the manual is
rev. C, make the modification as described below. In this case you'll need to
supply your own resistor, which can be in the range of 1.8 to 2.2 K (5% or 10%,
1/8-watt, 1/4-watt or higher rating).

Modification instructions:
 1. Remove the Filter board and locate RP4, in the back-left corner near the
key jack.
 2. On the bottom of the RF board, solder one end of a 1.8K, 2.0K, or 2.2K
resistor to pin 1 of RP4 (the round pad).
 3. Solder the other lead of this resistor to the nearby ground pad for crystal
X6. This pad can be easily identified on the top side of the board; it has the
"X6" label directly above it.

Technical Details:

 Under extreme load or transient conditions, high RF voltages or currents can
appear on the power supply and ground leads, as well as the T-R switch control
lines (6R and 6T). Q14 (part of the TX Buffer circuit) is connected to 6R, and
is supposed to remain off during transmit. Adding a 1.8K (approx.) resistor
from the base of Q14 to ground significantly improves the noise immunity of
this circuit, without compromising the normal function of Q14 when 6R is turned
on."

That builder alert and these instructions from the KAT1 manual should be all
you need...

"The following five steps are only necessary if you have revision D or earlier
of the K1 RF
board. On later revisions, these parts will already have been installed during
RF board assembly.
Install resistor RF-R39 (1.8 k, brown-gray-red) on the bottom of the RF board
between Q14 base and
ground, if you haven’t already. This is described in detail on page 31 of the
K1 owner’s manual (right
column, last assembly step).
Solder capacitor RF-C76 (.01 μF, “103”) across RF-R39, the resistor in the
previous step. Use short
leads, and fold the capacitor down so it won’t hit the bottom cover."

Chuck, KE9UW
Lionel Trains, TCA, LCCA, LRRC
aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles BMWMOA #224