Fred

The detailed explanation fills in a key missing detail that I'd not seen
printed anywhere before.

NCCC's  Fred Jensen , thank you for the following:

<<To save your particular settings to a preset, set I/II [your choice] by
HOLDING the knob, and set the radio up as you wish.  They're saved.  If
you toggle to the other preset and do other things, the configuration
will re-appear the next time you toggle to back the first preset.

The NORM function [HOLDING the LO/SHIFT knob] will "normalize" the DSP
and roofing filter settings depending on mode.  There are two NORM's,
creatively named NORM 1 and NORM 2.  Choose your desired DSP BW for CW
and SSB.  HOLD NORM until until <- SAV -> appears.  Without releasing
the knob, rotate it counter-clockwise just a little to save the settings
to NORM 1, clockwise to save to NORM 2.

To get NORM 1 or NORM 2 back, HOLD NORM until <- NOR -> appears, and
without releasing the knob, rotate it slightly counter-clockwise [NORM
1] or clockwise [NORM 2].  When you have NORMalized the radio, two
little "wings" will appear at the ends of the DSP display slanting
downward to indicate that you're set up in one of your 2 normalized
settings.  They will go away as soon as you change DSP settings.

Hope this helps the original questioner.  If you don't have Fred's book,
don't wait, get it.  I've never found much use for the presets and NORM,
I suspect I'm not real creative with my radio. :-)>>

I'll bet, since Elecraft is in NCCC territory, they test for knob knowledge to
become a member.  KB!!

I'd been comparing notes on Knob Knowledge with my friend Ron and could'nt make
this one function so I could figure out
applications of hte feature.  I can see low band CW contesting with one set of
settings and another wider setting for the higher
bands especially while multiplier nunting.  I'm always interesting in more
thoughts.

John, W1QS, ex N6JL