Interesting thread on the AFSK DSP width reduction.
Supposing all goes well, will we see a release of new firmware which will
include the new data!!!

Ken..G0ORH - M3i

Sent from my iPhone 4

CW4EVER

On 14 Feb 2013, at 00:06, "Mark n2qt" <n...@verizon.net> wrote:

I had missed that this wasn’t discussed on  this reflector, so first a little
history

At the end of December, on the RTTY reflector, Andy K0SM/2 produced
measurements showing that the
use of FSK, which had been the ‘gold standard’ for generating RTTY was actually
not as spectrally efficient
as correctly adjusted, shaped AFSK generated RTTY.   This was shown in his
write-up posted at

http://www.frontiernet.net/~aflowers/k3rtty/k3rtty.html

Note that this does NOT indicate that there was any sort of problem with the
K3, just that there was a chance
to be better.  Other manufacturers also have this same chance to improve.

A little later, Ed, W0YK, also known as P49X in many contests, announced that
he had successfully used
experimental DSP firmware from Elecraft in the BARTG rtty contest.

“The K3 DSP firmware engineer coded a  wave-shaping filter that narrows the
transmit bandwidth similar to
what their AFSK filter provides. The resulting spectrum image looks  like the
better, i.e., narrowest, of the
images in K0SM's  recent work.”

Elecraft then allowed Ed to share this firmware with others who were interested
in trying it, which is how I got it.

As anyone who was in the WPX RTTY contest this past weekend knows, anything
that can help reduce the
unnecessary interference from overly wide transmissions is more than welcome.
It is great that Elecraft has
reacted so quickly to this opportunity.  (Would we expect anything less from
these guys??)

Mark N2QT/WE4M