Ron,
I've modeled my antennas using EZNEC. What I've found is that the horizontal pattern is more sensitive to conductor length on dipoles. Electrical height determines vertical angle of arrival. For NVIS work on 40 30' high is good; double that for 80. However,as you get higher than 1/4 wave the lobes start to lay down. there is an exception to this and that is a null that is created at the horizon that can occur when you get to certain heights between 1-2 wavelengths above ground. It's part of an interference pattern.

The Carolina Windoms are really interesting affairs. they are designed to have radiation from a part of the feed near the dipole. I've chosen to use an18' radiation length on my 66 footer. This allows a little better radiation at the horizon on the lower frequencies with a small impact on ten. However, at 22' things got crazy, so, 18' became the magic number.

Using these configurations for a fair number of years I find that this seems to work. I do reach out and touch people when band conditions are in good shape, and in the present iteration, the antenna is at about 40' on one end and about 30 feet on the other. This is not by design but rather by aim and the slope of the ground. I do run both QRP, ~5 Watts and QRO, 100 Watts.

What I do and what I say about antennas are NOT absolute. These are good guides that can be tailored for specific locations. The only important thing to remember, IMHO, is antenna tuners take care of many bad estimates and low loss feed lines mask many mistakes.

73,
Barry
K3NDM