I recently acquired a Kenwood MC-90 desk mic from a "for sale" list posted
here. It's a great microphone, but with a VERY low output level.  Even with MIC
GAIN cranked all the way up to 60, it wouldn't move the ALC indicator unless I
literally shouted into it. (Yes, I had selected "FP-H on the mic setup.)

Then I found the following in the K3 Operating Manual, page 52:
For the front-panel mic only, tap [3] to turn on an additional gain stage. Use
this only with very low-output mics. An apostrophe will appear after the H ,
e.g. H ’ .

I rushed to try that.  Result:  "N/A".

But....while fiddling around trying to find out why the [3] button wasn't doing
what it was supposed to do, I more or less accidentally tapped the [7] button,
and the magic apostrophe appeared after the H.  And most importantly, I now
have enough amplification for the Kenwood mic to be functional.

It would seem that there are only two explanations for this:

1. The manual is wrong.
2. Bad firmware.

Anybody know which answer is correct?  I have no way to tell.

Lew N6LEW