Thought I should mention: This QTH is extremely quiet. The typical daytime background for 75 meters does not even move the S-meter. Of course I base on daytime conditions, as they are all local and not propagated in.

This is a very quiet QTH - however, with the antenna disconnected:

The spikes I see on 75 meters are S3 (below the operating frequency) and show up on the waterfall as well. I also have a wide peak (20 kcs approx.) which is above the operating frequency with a strength of S5 and is also on the waterfall. I get a similar display on 40 and 20 meters. Mode makes no difference.

As the antenna is disconnected and I am seeing this on the display - I can only assume it is internally generated. Note that the spikes are not tunable.

Bill W2BLC