Actually, being net control with a beam probably would be challenging from the
midwest.  However, from where I sit in western Oregon, pointing my quad (whose
pattern is a bit broad) due east gives me good coverage from southern Canada
across the US to at least TX and NM. AZ and southern CA usually are strong even
into the "side" of the quad.  The most challenging area is that directly south
(northern CA) and north (OR, WA and BC).  These are too close and often need a
relay. AK typically comes in well, and I routinely copy ZL into the back of the
antenna.  A relay from the south or in the midwest/east can usually pick up
northern CA to BC.  It generally works, with the proviso that the check-ins
have a reasonably good signal toward OR.  More relays are always helpful.

73,
Phil, NS7P