I wondered the same thing this time last year when I was ordering my K3.

If I had to do it again, I would choose:

- the FM filter (in case you want to tx/rx AM or FM). I got the AM filter
(not planning on doing any FM), but now that the firmware supports AM thru
the FM filter...

- the 2.8 filter for SSB.  I also have the 1.8 filter, but I find I don't
use it much for phone, even during contests. I do use the filter when
tuning around for RTTY contacts, but I probably would be content with the
2.8 for this usage.

- the 400 filter for CW

- the 250 filter for RTTY & narrower modes in congested conditions.

I went with 8 pole filters mostly because I wasn't getting the second
receiver, but I didn't want to have to worry about crystal-matching if/when
I add it in the future.

Don't forget the BPF if you are in MARS or like listening around away from
the amateur bands.
--
Michael D. Adams (N1EN/4) | Atlanta, Georgia | m...@n1en.org