Craig, NZ0R wrote:

I have a pretty good sense of pitch and some musical talent, but for some
reason I find it easier to put the peak over the 600 mark than to "hear" 600
Hz reliably.

=========================
The "spot" function does not require any sense of musical pitch or tone. It
does not require one to detect a particular frequency. Perhaps that's the
confusion. Finding "zero beat" is the method FOR those with no musical
talent or sense of frequency.

When the levels are set correctly - the level of the sidetone and the
received signal are close to the same - one hears a very clear 'beat'.
That's what "zero beat" means. As you bring the frequencies together you
hear a tone that keeps dropping in frequency toward zero. As you get close,
you  hear a 'whop, whop, whop..." that finally drops to a very slow rate or
stops altogether. That's zero beat.

But, to hear the beat, it's important that the levels be fairly well
matched. If one is stronger than the other, it's hard to hear.

I recommend people practice on WWV or some other steady carrier because it
can be tricky to hear on a keyed CW signal until one knows what one is
listening for.

Bottom line, do NOT pay attention to the frequency of the side tone or the
frequency of the received signal. Instead, listen for the THIRD tone that
appears when they are well matched in level, and then tune until that third
tone goes to zero Hz...

Ron AC7AC