From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred Jensen
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 6:04 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] P3 - spikes that never move

Anthony,

Been out of town, didn't see a reply to you when I got home and downloaded
500+ emails. :-)

What P3 mode are you using?  There is an identified problem with the
K3-->P3 IF cable.  In Fixed Tune mode [where the ends of the span remain
fixed and the VFO cursor moves as you tune], the bad IF cable will put weak
signals approximately 14.5 KHz above and below the cursor.  They move with
the cursor hence you can never tune to them.

Signals that slowly move by themselves are almost always external to the
K3/P3.  Our world is filled with a nearly countable infinity of RF
noisemakers these days.  CFL light bulbs are notorious and could account for
the slow disappearance as they warm up.

If your signals disappear when you remove the antenna, that's a pretty good
indication that they're external to your radio.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org

On 3/3/2013 11:08 AM, Anthony Lewis wrote:
> I have three spikes on my P3, however they do move - very slowly they will
creep along the display. When I have P3 set to maximum span 200kHz, they
repeat themselves.
> They are there at switch on, but seem to slowly disappear over 10-15
minutes. I have changed IF cable, but that did nothing.