From: Dyarnes [mailto:w7...@cox.net]
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 7:16 AM
To: Fred Smith; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] TX5K

Yep, I worked them on 160 SSB on the 8th, which was apparently about the
last day for that band.  I worked them on 160 CW a few days earlier.  Not
sure why the antenna for 160 and 80 came down so early--maybe it blew
down???  It seems like after they crossed the 100K QSO mark, their activity
started to fall off.  Perhaps that was their goal, and after that they
wanted to enjoy a little R & R?  Or, maybe the sand crabs got to them!  Hi.

Like you, I wasn't sure 160 SSB was on their agenda.  I don't think VP6DX
brought up anything on 160 SSB, so maybe that's not considered to be a
particularly productive band/mode combination.  In any event, the TX5K
website had a neat feature that showed, at any point in time, just what
bands and modes were active.  At this moment they are still only operating
on 40 SSB.  It's odd to only see one position light on.  Usually there were
at least 4 or 5, and as many as 7 or 8.

As I mentioned previously, my working them on 80 and 160 is still sort of
amazing--to me anyway.  I say that because I've tried various "goofy"
antennas on 160 before with almost no luck whatsoever.  An R8 vertical isn't
supposed to work on 80, let alone 160.  I had tried it, mainly as a lark, on
the VP6DX DXpedition.  Surprise!  Surprise!  They heard me!  You know my ERP
had to be just one step up from a dummy load.  It's proof positive that just
about anything will radiate something, and further provided whoever is at
the other end has a decent antenna to hear you with!  The R8 actually shows
a half-way decent SWR even without the tuner.  160 is more problematic, but
the KAT500 (or just the K3 internal ATU when running barefoot) will bring it
down to close to 1:1 on both bands.  That certainly substantiates some of
the performance claims by Elecraft.  If you just don't get greedy, and run
very much power, everything behaves nicely.

By the way, it was interesting to see them often on the same band with more
than one mode.  Not all DXpeditions do that--at least not as much.  I think
at least part of the credit for being able to do that is the Elecraft
equipment.

Dave, AA7EE posted a link to a very interesting historical summary of
Clipperton Island on the QRP-L reflector.  I've added the link below for
those who may be interested.  I found it fascinating!

The other historical thing I am reminded of is that, back around the time I
first got my license, there was a DXpedition to Clipperton Island by the
YASME group--mainly Lloyd Colvin (W6KG?).  It was all over the cover of CQ
Magazine.  Maybe that was the first DXpedition to Clipperton???  Do I also
remember that later there was some sort of "flap" about YASME?

Here's the link on Clipperton's history.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-tyrant-clipperton-island/

Dave W7AQK