There was a discussion of this topic on the KX3 group. The dot and dash
paddles (pins 3 and 4) need to make contact with ground (pin 1). The
original version of the KXPD3 had a design flaw on the circuit board which
followed the diagram in the published KXPD3 schematic dated March 2012. This
version of the KXPD3 got its ground through the screws connecting the KXPD3
to the KX3 chassis.

The KXPD3 upgrade fixed this problem with a circuit board replacement and
the new version of the KXPD3 now gets its ground connection from pin 1 and
the chassis, pin 3 is not connected.

During the discussion Wayne said that the original intent of pin 3 was to
provide memory button functions (different resistances to ground for each
memory button) but this was not implemented.

This is my understanding of the situation. I have no insider knowledge. I do
believe that the KXPD3 schematic needs updating to reflect the new version.

Lou W2ROW

Richard-2 wrote