The Spanish 5 number stations have been on since the 1960s along with English and German versions. I was a Pop Comm reader and column contributor with Harry Helms back then. Some transmissions were believed to be Mossad or of Cuban origin. Also Jupiter , Florida and a military base there. They would start with a 3 digit number repeated several times a pause they 5 digit groups. At the end would be a pause then "ende". 90% were done with a female voice. Also a split Spanish 3 with a pause then the other 2 digits was rarer but heard. Never has been a full explanation .....

73

George , N2JNZ

-----Original Message----- From: Oliver Johns
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 3:38 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] [OT] Strange signal on 17 meter CW

Hi,

This afternoon, Saturday 9 March 2013 at about 5pm PST (approx 10 March 01:10Z UTC), I heard a strange USB signal in the CW portion of 17 meters. The frequency was 18.07415 MHz. A recorded female human voice was reciting a string of five-number codes -- in Spanish. Like 94514 65443 98713 ... . This went on for some minutes (I don't know how long it had been going when I first heard it). Then it stopped and was replaced by some sort of multi-tone signal. Then that stopped, and the transmission ended.

Did anyone hear this? Is this something that is well known? I ask here since this list is full of attentive CW operators one of whom might have heard it.

73,

Oliver
W6ODJ