Eric,

You should be able to run one and only one additional application to
the P3.  Once you have one application connected to the P3 serial
port, that application blocks any other applications from using the
serial port the K3 the P3 are using.  So if you are trying to use the
same serial port for more than one software application it will not
use the P3 port.  It will give you a port in use error message.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member