Whether ham radio is a sport or not is probably a moot point in this day and
age yet I am responding here (my first time since subscribing about three years
ago) since I enjoyed reading Bill Leonard's 1958 article so much.  Thank you,
Paul, NF8J, for posting the link to such an intelligent, well-written piece
about our marvelous pastime-hobby-passion-sport.  It was a solid joy to read!
Despite being obviously a bit dated in parts, Bill's Sports Illustrated article
still provides the current lay reader with plenty of insight into what
motivates all of us in our great hobby.   He portrays us crazy contesters,
rabid DX chasers, casual ragchewers and electronic tinkerers as diverse equals
bound by one common interest; radio communications.  We are not only cast in a
favorable light but our operations are explained well and made enticing to the
reader.   Leonard's article portrays us sharing the fun, usefullness and
thrills inherent in amateur radio.  We are shown to do so in the
 interest of simply communicating with our fellow man---both near---and afar.
Ham radio is made accessible and even some basic radio theory is interjected
without being unfathomable.  Kudos to Bill Leonard! By the way, wasn't the
author the past head of CBS at one time?  He was also a ham if I recall
correctly. I printed out a few copies to have on hand here in my shack.  I deem
this vintage gem of an article actually worthy of attracting new hams into our
realm since it conveys such a broad range of information so timelessly.
Perhaps we might want to have copies of this available at Field Day or other
public events, too---it's truly "good press" in my book! 73,

Jeff Cathrow, NH7RO K3 #5528  P3 #1397  KPA500 # 0250