It would be helpful to have a small section of the bands “off
limits” for contesting on the CW-data and SSB segments of each band
in areas that General/Tech class people or higher could use during
the “tests”.

You've got to be kidding - particularly on 80/40 meter CW and data.
With the most recent "land grab" by phone there is less than 50 KHz
for US data operations.  On 40, the area between 7100 and 7150 is
almost completely void of CW/RTTY contest activity even in CQWW -
the most crowded of all contests.

even if ARRL doesn’t care anymore. (They no longer put the “Operating
an Amateur Station” chapter in the “Handbook” anymore!)

That's because it has been expanded to an entire book:
    The ARRL Operating Manual (now in the 10th Edition)
http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Operating-Manual-10th-Edition/

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV