Today (3/26/2013) K3WWP and I did some extensive testing and checking on how
to get HDSDR to cooperate with my laptop.  After plenty of frustration we
accidentally found that the external sound card I was trying to use (has a
line in jack) loaded a extra soundcard driver that works with the mic input
on the laptop.  Connect the KX3 Serial to USB converter cable to the
accessory 1 on your KX3 and connect a 1/8-1/8 cable (adapter needed on the
KX3 end) from your laptop mic in to the I/Q on your KX3. This should help
your rig and laptop communicate with each other.

I hope this helps.

73
Michael
KC2EGL