As a current Canadian Avionics E licenced mechanic with over 30 years
experience, including quite a bit of HF, I can tell you that there are
many makes and models of HF gear, including Collins, Bendix/King,
Sunaire,... that could be directly channelled from the cockpit.  All HF
gear for a couple of decades now have used antenna autotuners.  Its not
then a matter of ability but whether its permitted.  Given the number of
known incidents of cockpit crew falling asleep during long flights, I
would think that being able to chat on HF might help at least one of the
pilots stay awake.

      Ron VE8RT