Here is my setup at the QTH:  K3>KPA500>KAT500.  All work seamlessly together.
I am considering bringing the K3 out into the field for the upcoming NM QSO
party.  My K3 does not currently have an internal KAT3 but I am considering
purchasing one. My question *should* be simple.  If I disable the internal
tuner (via menu), will the functionality I enjoy return? In other words will
the K3 pass commands back to the KAT500 through the AUX bus? Or, will I have to
remove the KAT3 internal tuner once the K3 returns to the shack?

Yes, I know that I could take the KAT500 out into the field as well,  but I
want to pack light and make the setup process as simple as possible.

Thanks and 73

K5RHD

/randy