KX3 beta firmware rev 1.41 (with DSP rev 1.13) is now available. This includes
recently discussed improvements to internal speaker behavior and FM mode, as
well as programmable switch macros (see release notes below).

You'll need the KX3 Utility application to download and install firmware. For
full instructions, refer to our KX3 software page:

    http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/KX3_software.htm

Wayne
N6KR

* * *

MCU 1.41 / DSP 1.13, 3-26-2013

* AF GAIN SMOOTHER AT LOW END: The AF gain control now has finer granularity at
the low end. To accommodate this , the gain range is now 0-60 (was 0-40).

* INTERNAL SPEAKER BEHAVIOR IMPROVED:  (1) Fixed bug that caused audio output
mute/unmute cycling on strong signals. (2) Gain distribution changed to reduce
speaker overdrive condition related to CODEC output. (3) Audio EQ optimized for
speaker.

* FM DEVIATION AND FM MIC GAIN SETTING BEHAVIOR CORRECTED.

* NEW LED BRT MENU ENTRY: Allows setting of LED brightness for the
backlight-off case only. (During adjustment of this menu parameter, the
backlight will automatically be turned off if it was on, then turned back on
when the menu is exited.)

MCU 1.38 / DSP 1.07, 3-1-2013

* NO SSB RX SIGNAL ATTENUATION WHEN BW < 2.4 KHz: Previously, adjusting the
bandwidth below approx. 2.4 kHz might result in up to several dB of received
signal loss. 2.4 kHz is the bandwidth at which the receiver switches from
conventional SSB demodulation to “Weaver” method to take advantage of filter
FL2 on the KXFL3 roofing filter module.

* NEW FEATURE--SWITCH MACROS: You can now program the PF1 and PF2 switches to
execute sequences of KX3 remote control , or “macros.” These are created,
tested, and sent to the KX3 using KX3 Utility. The K3/KX3 Programmer’s
Reference has a number of sample macros and further details.

Here’s an example of what can be done with a macro. We’ll call this “SPLIT+2”
(useful when setting up to call a CW DX station up 2 kHz):

     A>B, A>B, SPLIT, move VFO B up 2 kHz, RIT/XIT off

To create this macro and assign it to PF1 or PF2, complete the steps below:

1. Run KX3 Utility. Click on the Command Tester/KX3 Macros tab.
2. Click on the Edit Macros button. This pops up the macro edit window.
3. In MACRO #1’s Macro Label  field, enter the label “SPLIT+2” (without the
quotes).
4. In the Macro Commands  field, enter this text:

    SWT25;SWT25;FT1;UPB5;RT0;XT0;

(The number 5 in “UPB5” is an index into a table of step sizes. UPB5 moves VFO
B up 2 kHz, DNB5 moves it down 2 kHz, etc. There are similar commands for VFO
A. For the full list, see the “DN” (down) command in the Programmer’s
Reference.)

5. Click on Send Macros 1-8 To KX3.
6. At the KX3, locate the CONFIG:MACRO x menu entry, and tap ‘1’ if the menu
entry label is not already “MACRO 1”.
7. Hold PF1 to assign PF1 to MACRO 1. Exit the menu.

>From then on, holding PF1 will flash “SPLIT+2” and execute the above sequence.

Up to eight macros can be sent to the KX3, but only two of them can be assigned
to PF1 or PF2 at a given time. In the MACRO x menu entry, tap ‘1’ – ‘8’ to
select a macro, then hold PF1 or PF2 to do the assignment.