A small charger will work if the battery is still good.

Before I assumed that, I'd charge the battery with a good charger, then do a load test to see if it actually stores power.

I've had "sealed" batteries that were damaged in shipping. Looked fine, but outgassed and dried out. Took a couple of years.

Usually, the periodic "run" is to bring the oil to temperature and distribute it around the engine, not primarily for battery charging.

-- Lynn