Julius n2wn wrote
> Might I suggest something less commercial... haul a
> collapsible "crappy" fishing pole and some wire. You
> can make a vertical, you can make a loop, you can make
> an inverted vee. You have flexibility and it's a lot
> cheaper than commercial "minature" antennas (probably
> will work a lot better as well).

Nothing has to be commercial, unless it's easier and cheaper in time and
effort to go that route.  Got the poles, the wire, trees, tuner... a wire
over a tree ALWAYS works better than a 7 foot loaded vertical over no
radials.  On the other hand, I can walk around with an MP-1 and keyer
paddles fastened on a radio and operate on the move.  As you can see from
the pictures at HFPack, some folks have really elaborate walking-about
antennas, not that mine looks less silly; an antenna sprouting from one's
belly _is_ a bit unusual.

Cortland
KA5S